The hotter weather doesn't mean you have to put away your red wine until the winter. You can simply transform red wine into the perfect cold summer drink- Spanish Sangria. Luckily Chef Jon has a great recipe he always uses when whipping up some sangria.
-1 liter of red wine (Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Rioja, Zinfandel, Shiraz)
-The juice of two oranges
-5 tablespoons of sugar
-2 large pieces of a lemon peel
1. Don't go all crazy and buy a vintage wine, stick to something reasonably priced.
2. Place the whole bottle or red wine into a large pitcher or jug and add the sugar.
3. Add the fresh squeezed orange juice to the jug (save some of the orange peels as a garnish).
4. Wash the peaches, peel them, cut them into small quarters (you should get about 6 quarter pieces from each peach) and add to your jug.
5. Put your jug into the fridge (sangria is always served chilled and that's why it is the perfect summer drink).
6. Allow your sangria to sit in the fridge for at least 24 hours.
7.To increase the alcohol content of your sangria simply add a small amount of cognac or white rum before serving.